Monday, September 7, 2009

Closet Case

Responding to: Ask Professor Foxy: How Do I Tell My Parents About My Poly Relationship?

I'm very much in the closet about having any kind of extramarital relationships. A big part of this is because I need consent to rip down the closet doors.

We live in a culture that does not value non-monogamous relationships. The most widespread example of polyamory in the US is the fundamentalist Mormon off-shoot of polygamy, which pairs young and undereducated women with older men.

I completely understand wanting privacy. I want a modicum of privacy myself. That is why I am anonymous. The slut-shaming for women who "stray" outside their marriages can be heinous. I don't want to be called a slut or a whore or cheating bitch by anyone. I absolutely believe that I would be named a whore by at least my mother if I came out as married with lovers.

Then there is my husband. He and my parents never really got along anyway, and to be open that I'm happy for him when he enjoys someone else's company would just have them brand him as a cheating bastard, while I've been brainwashed somehow to think this is acceptable.

I also have to consider how it would affect my loved ones. How would they feel if someone revealed "I think your spouse and best friend are having an affair?" out of the blue. I don't want to put either my husband or my best friend in the position of suddenly having to defend their marriage/friendship.

At the same time, I'd like to be free to show my affections. I also don't want my husband to have to hide his affection for others, should he wish to show them. I know I have the air of obliviousness that would allow me to simply say "They're good friends" and change the subject if I'm not willing to explore the subject of polyamory at the time or with that particular person.

Regardless, I am currently in the closet, and unless and until all those who will be affected by my openness give permission to be dragged out with me, I will remain there.

No comments:

Post a Comment