Sunday, August 23, 2009

Introduction & Purpose

In the United States, the dominant culture is sex-negative, condones rape, and punishes women who enjoy sex. Because I have been on the receiving end of public censure for my sexual proclivities, and more than just me will suffer should my identity be public, I am writing this blog anonymously.

And yet my journey in examining the rape culture and how it has effected me, my life, the attitudes I've come across, etc. has just begun. I have much reflection to do, and sharing my reflections is of paramount import. And yet, and yet, and yet.

I cannot keep my silence. I must speak. But the consequences of sharing have been too high. Worse, nothing can change unless I speak.

I am a woman who enjoys sex. With multiple partners. At the same time. I am a victim who needs healing. I am a survivor who has moved on. My body and sexual relationships are sacred. Sex is a cause for celebration. Sex has been used as a weapon to name me nothing-no one-less than human. None of these are contradictions.

No comments:

Post a Comment