Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Fantasy

Responding to "The Fantasy of Acceptable 'Non-Consent': Why the Female Sexual Submissive Scares Us (and Why She Shouldn't)" by Stacey May Fowles.

Last night I found myself unable to sleep because of a rather vivid sexual fantasy I couldn't stop thinking about. The kind of fantasy I had is considered a rape fantasy by the mainstream lexicon. It came complete with a safe word.

My fantasy involved my partner(s) trespassing boundaries that I normally hold as unbreakable, and doing so in a forceful manner. I may even ask for my fantasy to become true someday. Who knows? The vulnerability and trust required are enormous.

I even recognize that my fantasy may have more to do about destroying certain memories, but that's less important than the pleasure I hope to receive.

I would say that my fantasy is tiptoeing into the world of BDSM.

(page 121) "For BDSM to exist safely, it has to be founded on a constant proclamation of enthusiastic consent, which mainstream sexuality has systematically dismantled."

Something I've just recognized, more by accident than anything, is that I'm not sure MZ would consider himself a rapist. And yet, I clearly and repeatedly told him no. There is a cultural narrative that no is just a yes in disguise so the girl can think she's not a whore, and that men just need to keep going unless the girl puts up a fight. Never mind that she might be scared you'll just rape her more violently.

And here I am fantasizing about something that looks like rape from the outside, but because I'll be the one requesting the activities, it's not. I'll be asking for a mild degree of violence, for some of my normal needs to be ignored, and for me to be restrained and to submit to activities that could be considered degrading.

But I have full and utmost confidence that nothing will happen without enthusiastic consent.

(page 120) "...by it's very nature BDSM is constantly about consent. Of course, it's language and rules differ significantly from vanilla sex scenes, but the very existence of a safe word is the ultimate in preventing violation--it suggests that at any moment, regardless of expectations of interpretations on the part of either party, the act can and will end."

Ultimately, I would be in control the entire time, able to stop everything with a single utterance.

When I was raped, I had no control. I had no agency. I was violated. My humanity was rendered moot. I didn't matter.

Should this fantasy come to fruition, I will matter. I will have the power. I will have control and agency, despite appearances to the contrary.

And, in all honesty, I don't care if the rest of the world finds it acceptable. I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment